Under Medicare Part B, medically necessary durable medical equipment (DME) is covered. Some of the items Medicare covers include walkers, canes, nebulizers and nebulizer medication, suction pumps, blood sugar meters, and more. Medicare covers DME in a few different ways, and depending on the equipment you need, you might have to rent it, buy it, or be given the choice to rent or buy the equipment.
What You Need to Know About DME
Your DME will only be covered by Medicare if the equipment suppliers and your doctor are enrolled in Medicare. Generally, for these suppliers and doctors to remain enrolled in Medicare, they would have to meet strict standards. If you choose a doctor or supplier who is not enrolled, your medical equipment will not be covered, so be sure to ask if they are enrolled in Medicare before ordering DME.
DME is defined as the following:
- It is durable and can withstand multiple uses
- It serves a medical purpose
- It can be used in your home
It is usually used on someone who is injured or ill
- It can last for at least three years
Other DME Medicare covers include:
- Blood sugar test strips
- Commode chairs
- Patient lifts
- Wheelchairs and scooters
- Lancet devices and lancets
- Hospital beds
- Oxygen equipment and accessories
- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines
Medicare also covers orthotic and prosthetic items, including:
- Artificial limbs and eyes
- Leg, arm, neck, and back braces
- Urological supplies
- Ostomy bags and other supplies designed to assist those recovering from operations to control urinary tract or digestive diseases
- Therapeutic devices
Items that Medicare will not cover include those that are medically necessary but disposable, such as compression socks, surgical face masks, catheters, and incontinence pads.
What You Will Pay for Your Medical Equipment and Supplies
If you choose a supplier or doctor enrolled in Medicare and accepts assignment, Medicare Part B will cover 80% of the cost of your equipment and supplies, and you will pay the other 20% as coinsurance. You could also purchase a separate Medicare supplement policy (Medigap) that could cover Medicare’s deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments. All Medigap policies cover the 20% Part B coinsurance in full or in part.
What Medicare Plan is Best for You?
Medicare and Medigap provide essential coverage and could help ensure that you receive the medical equipment and supplies you need to make your life easier. Our insurance agents will work closely with you to understand your unique needs, so you can find a policy that provides the right amount of coverage for you at a rate that you can afford. We understand that choosing the right insurance plan can be a difficult task, which is why we offer our knowledgeable and experienced services to make things easier for you.
Connect with one of our local insurance agents today to get started on finding the right coverage for you. We are dedicated to providing exceptional personalized service!